Friday, February 12, 2010

Is it not healthy to dye your hair and get your nails done when you are pregnant?

There are many opinions about whether you can color your hair while you are pregnant. Unfortunately, there are very few scientific studies on the effects of hair dye used during pregnancy. In some animal studies doses 100 times the amount of hair dye used in normal application showed no significant change in fetal development.





There are high levels of various chemicals in hair color. Low levels of these can sometimes be absorbed through the skin after being applied, and the dye is known to be secreted in urine. The larger danger in hair coloring lay in the fumes, which can be inhaled in greater amounts than will absorb into the skin. Perhaps the greatest risk of the fumes is that they make you nauseous rather than be dangerous for the baby.





There are certain precautions you should take when coloring your hair while pregnant. As always, you should first consult your physician for any recommendations. Second, make sure that you have your hair colored in a well-ventilated area. This will prevent the fumes from making you nauseous. Always wear protective gloves if you are coloring your own hair, as this will prevent the dye from being absorbed into your body through your hands. Rinsing your scalp with cold water can also slow or reduce absorbtion.





There are many ';off-scalp'; coloring methods, such as foiling and tipping that can be used. These methods, of course, do not reduce the amount of fumes that you will breathe in. If you are still concerned, you should ask your physician about these methods.





As far as nails go ...





Getting your nails done is not really harmful to a fetus, but the fumes and the possible exposure to bacteria and other disease are. Choosing a nail salon that is well ventilated and sanitary will reduce the risks involved. However, any infections that you may encounter will likely affect your child.Is it not healthy to dye your hair and get your nails done when you are pregnant?
well you can dye your hair as long as its not to often. and getting your nails done( if you mean acyrilic) is not good. if its just a pedi. and mani. then thats okIs it not healthy to dye your hair and get your nails done when you are pregnant?
it's safe to dye your hair in the second trimester. but make sure the room is WELL ventilated. i did it and my daughter is fine. double check with your OB if you have any concerns. they know MUCH more about baby's development %26amp; how things can harm them in utero.


as far as nails, i would say, as long as the place you is well ventilated, but again, check with your OB.
no because the chemicals arent good for ur baby. n u dont want ur child to be born w. defects
This is my 3rd pregnancy and my OBGYN supplied me with a list of do's and don'ts during pregnancy --- hair dying is okay as long as you are in a well ventilated area - if you do it all home, make sure your windows are open!! As far as getting your nails done, there was nothing on that, but I would not recommend that because of all the nail places I have been to, none have been ventilated and it stinks badly because of all the polish and chemicals.....
Don't listen to anyone, I got my hair dyed and my nails done like clock work and I gave birth to two healthy babies, its what you put into your body that harmful, not what you do on the outside... I even got my waxes done, I am sorry I was not about to walk around like a sorry excuse just because I am pregnant, I also worked out of course nothing heavy but yeah I did my exercises.. And yet again my babies were born healthy and happy... I asked my doctor and he told me to eat right, excises and get plenty of sleep...
I have always heard that getting your hair dyed while you are pregnant is not a good idea because of the chemicals that are used are applied to your scalp and penetrate the skin, therefore can get into the bloodstream.


I would say that the only reason that you shouldn't get your nails done, is because of the chance of inhaling the chemicals which are used.


I would say....be a natural pregnant woman! You'll have plenty of time to get pretty when the baby is here. Well...maybe a couple of months after the baby is here!





Best Wishes
it is not recommended to have your hair dyed during a pregnancy, due to the chemicals involved, but I see nothing wrong with getting a little nail pampering in.
  • windows
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment